вторник, 14 октября 2008 г.

book guest wxow




On Friday, I made the mistake of trying to get home from work on not enough gas. Between exits 13 and 14 (I live off exit 16), my luck - and my gas - ran out.

Of course, I didnapos;t have the cell phone on me - it needed to be charged, so I had left it on the kitchen counter, where it would do no one any good.

So I gritted my teeth, hiked up my backpack, turned on the hazard lights, locked the truck and started walking down I-95 with rush hour traffic whizzing by me. About 1/2 mile later, a woman pulled over. I leaned in the window and said, lady, youapos;re a saint. She was shocked. "No one else stopped for you?" Nope - Iapos;ve been cussing all these people out for the last half mile. So she offered to drive me home, and even loaned me her cell phone so I could call Frank to have him and his dad fetch the truck.

During the drive, we talked about running out of gas, and about being poor and unemployed in general - her husband was a plumber who had had hip replacement surgery, and she had been out of work for 1-1/2 years before she got another job, so she totally understood the need to try and get home on not enough gas. We talked about the economy and how the construction business was doing so badly for both our husbands.

I had her drop me off at the gas station by my house, so that she didnapos;t have to go too far from the highway - I didnapos;t think that would be a suitable thank-you for her help. As I got out of her car, thanking her profusely, she told me to do something nice for someone else - essentially, pay it forward. I didnapos;t realize until after she had driven away that sheapos;d also slipped a $10 into my bag.

Friday night, I cleaned the living room and the kitchen. Saturday morning, Frank and I cleaned out the truck from stem to stern. I think the act of cleaning is opening up some doors for me, because ...

Saturday night we went to Dom Spocilliapos;s 40th birthday party. Since we are low on cash, I decided to pull out all my crafty stuff and try my hand at making Dom a gift - after all, itapos;s not every day someone turns 40, and I wanted to celebrate that. I took a wooden box that was the right size for Tarot cards and painted it blue with a green crackle glaze, to represent the heart and throat chakras (communication through love - perfect for cards). To the top of the box, I glued the following: blue and green glass beads; lapis, jade and garnet beads; hematite stars; blue faux catsapos; eye stars - all in swirls from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. Then I anchored the design by gluing down a flat crystal point in the bottom right corner. I coated it with a satin, water based finish to seal the paint.

It came out quite lovely, if I do say so myself. I asked Steve if he thought Dom would like it, and he said, if he doesnapos;t, Iapos;ll slug him. But no worries - Dom seemed to like it just fine.

Anyway, as I was giving him his gift, Dom introduced me to his friend Desiree. She examined the box closely and asked me if I made it, and could I make more like it? It turns out that she owns a pagan shop in Dobbs Ferry and would like to carry some of my designs So Iapos;m going to make a few more boxes this week - some with beadwork, some with burned designs and some with decoupage work. Then I will photograph them, e-mail her the pictures and see where we go from there. Iapos;m thinking/hoping that it might actually be the right time for me to go forward with my craft business. Itapos;s not like I couldnapos;t use some extra money, and Iapos;ve been wanting to do something with my mad craft skillz for years. So please, everyone, keep your fingers crossed for me

Sunday was spent in quiet contemplation; i.e. We laid around and did nothing all day. I find that if I donapos;t allow myself at least one weekend day to rest, I have a hard time getting through the next week. I try and do some cleaning or other housework on Friday nights or Saturday mornings so I donapos;t feel guilty about resting on Sundays. It seems to work out.

Mapos;kay, the office is closing early, so Iapos;ll see yaapos;ll tomorrow

az in phoenix realtor, book guest wxow, book guest wwsb, book guest wwo, book guest wwf.



Комментариев нет: